Between dinners and driving and parties and presents, the holidays can get pretty pricey.
That’s why higher energy bills for heating our Northeast Oklahoma homes is something we would love to avoid, or at least minimize.
Here’s five tips to keep your energy and feel comfortable at home.
- Get a tune-up of your heating system. Want to keep your furnace or boiler running at peak energy efficiency? Regular maintenance by a professional service technician takes care of that.
- Block the drafts. Drafts can add 15 percent to your heating costs. A weekend’s work with caulk, weatherstripping, expanding foam, and door sweeps can minimize drafts by keeping the warm air in and the cold air out.
- Be smart with your programmable thermostat. Get a programmable thermostat that can help save energy. You can program the heat to be lower when you are away or sleeping, then right before you get home you can program it to warm the house.
- Use space heating. Using a wall heater or fireplace in smaller rooms helps warm the room without the furnace kicking on.
- Be careful with exhaust fans. When you run the exhaust fans in your bathroom or kitchen, heated air can be sucked out of your home. Make sure you only run them when needed and turn them off when you’re done.
Froman Propane offers a prebuy program during August to help save money in the long run.